Wednesday 15 February 2012

Sophie Calles exhibition 'Blind'



"Green is beautiful. Because every time I like something, I'm told it's green. Grass is green, trees, leaves, nature too... I like to dress in Green" (Extract from 'Blind')
A few weeks ago, while browsing in the Whitechapel book shop, I came across one of Sophie Calle's many fantastic collections of work exhibited in a coffee table book, entitled 'Blind' that she collaborated in 1986. Although I wasn't fortunate enough to see 'Blind' in an exhibition, The publication was enough to completely en-captivate me into trance of sheer beauty and admiration for such an incredible group of inspirational people as well as further admiration for one of the most innovative and interesting photographers of my time; Sophie Calle.

Sophie Calle exhibited 3 different types of people who contracted their condition; people visually impaired from birth, people that lost their sight over a gradual process and people who became blind in a short period of time. The book consists off series of portrait photographs with a narrated description aside each one accompanied with a further picture of what they defined as beautiful.
Their responses to what their take on ‘beauty’ was, consisted of incredibly intricately detailed and touching responses and in addition to Sophie Calle’s powerful photography, it was enough to completely blow me away, and further question my own take on what beauty was.
I am not one to constantly conjure moralistic values from frequent occurrences in life, but Sophie Calle’s exhibition of ‘Blind’, enforced me to further support the well know statement that ‘Beauty’ is stronger ‘within’ rather then things that may appear to be ‘visually beautiful’. I am by no means undermining the existence of visual beauty however ‘Blind’ just distinguishes the fact that beauty can exist in all aspects of life; beyond our conceptions. Beauty is only a perception that can be seen in so many different perspectives.
"I saw my son in a dream. He was 10 years old. He was in pagamas. He looked at me and smiled. He walked towards me. I thought it was very beautiful." (Extract from 'Blind')

Here are a few other interesting articles that also discuss Sophie Calles exhibition 'Blind'

No comments:

Post a Comment